Monday 1 October 2007

Watching the movie - Oil painting study

Watching the movie - oil on panel (6" x 8") by Benoit Philippe



I painted this quick study while one of my daughters was watching a movie on TV at the week-end. That gave me around one hour to complete the painting. I want to do more figure works and this is a perfect way to get started.


I liked the way the light from the window was hitting from the left side, spreading blue light on the reflective leather surface of the sofa.


Armed with my pochade box (see my pochade setting
here), I used a MDF panel toned with a cool grey and a set of hog brushes. I barely sketched the proportions of the figure using a small brush, then started with the head and developed the painting from there.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely little painting, and a very nice subject indeed.
Keep the good work.