Source: background photo from NASA
I had a several reasons to start this blog:
- This motivates me to paint and create.
- It acts like a journal and I can refer to when I want.
- I like to share my painting tips.
- As a non-native English speaker, writing regularly in English is a good exercise.
I try not to look at the blog's statistics too often, but numbers show some interesting and often surprising facts.
- 199509 pageviews since the start
- 207 followers
- Post with the most page views (5,234 Pageviews): Texture in oil with painting knives
- Most used search term that led to the blog: Hokusai
This blog is not a commercial venture. I decided not to put any advertising on the site and I don’t plan to change that. I use Amazon affiliate links (and managed to buy one art book with the proceeds...), but this does not dictate the content of the blog.
A few favourite posts
Let me do that by category.
Paintings: Cable car ride for oil paintings; Dragon Gate (San Francisco) for mixed-media; River Kennet at Avebury for watercolour and Children at the river for pastel.
Recommended book: It’s hard to pick one, but the most inspiring book I read and reviewed on the blog so far is The Creative habit by Twyla Tharp.
Museum: I can’t really pick a favourite museum, however the Marmottan museum in Paris is a must see if you like Impresionnism.
Painting studio tips: two posts my readers found useful are How to open a stuck oil paint tube and How to set-up your French easel (on your own).
Art material: my vote goes to the daylight easel lamp because I can paint in the evening with it, without fear of discovering the next day that all the colours are wrong.