Le Regal - Watercolour and ink by Benoit Philippe (Click on the image to enlarge)
The access road to the house was so narrow that you could only cross another car at a few points. We had to reverse more than once…
The garden looked beautiful and I sat under a tree, at the beginning of the afternoon, to make this painting.
The process is different from the usual ink drawing with colour washes (that I also like to do). I followed this order:
- Pencil outline
- Masking fluid to reserve some areas
- Watercolour painting (on day one)
- Ink drawing on top of the watercolour (on day two)
This approach gives interesting results:
- I don’t need to draw everything because the colours are already building the image. The ink drawing is more “open”, add some accents or bring out the focal point.
- The ink drawing does not need to coincide precisely with the painting. I could add details with the ink drawing that were not in the watercolour painting, or even draw aside from the brush stroke, creating some interesting tension. A photograph of a detail (see below) will show you what I mean.
Le Regal - detail (Click on the image to enlarge)