Thursday 27 December 2007

The Pantheon From the Luxembourg Garden - Oil Painting



I painted this oil on canvas on location in the Luxembourg Garden (Paris), which is where the French Senate is located.


The weather was cold, but not freezing. Because of the rain, all the seats were wet and I had to stand to paint.

The perpective leading to the Panthéon is very effective with the trees on both sides. The tones of the painting are muted because of the grey weather. The green statue creates some interest in the foreground. The tricky part was to make it stand against the dark background of the trees.



The Pantheon From the Luxembourg Garden - Oil on linen canvas (27 x 22 cm) by Benoit Philippe


I used a linen canvas bought just before I went into the garden at one of my favourite art shops in Paris, Maison Gattegno (13, Rue Grande Chaumière 75006 Paris, France). I had my pochade box with me for the rest of my painting gear.

I wish you all the best for the new year to come. Happy 2008 full of art.

No comments: